Monday, July 4, 2011

Independence Day!

As the author of a totally rock-awesome YA political thriller, I feel compelled to take a moment today to honor a few men who authored and endorsed with their lives, documents that have shaped our nation, and influenced the nations of others around the world, forever. Men who sacrificed all to proudly declare independence from a tyrannical monarch, and search out a government that would strive to champion values of a higher cause... holding that ALL men are created equal, and that they are endowed by their Creator certain unalienable rights, among which are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

I am a American history major, I did my capstone project on colonial women in the Revolutionary War, one of my favorite movies is the Patriot, I wrote a YA pre-dystopian political thriller, and I chose law school as an appropriate graduate degree path. If all those together don't scream that I'm a fountain of geeky history facts, I don't know what will.  

But I wear my geek-dom proudly!

I love the Revolutionary War. It took such great and inspiring courage to take a stand of that magnitude. My gratitude for the Founding Fathers is deep and profound, and I am honored by their sacrifices and the sacrifices of so many others who have given their lives on the altar of freedom.

Are we perfect? Hardly. But this is the most perfect form of government that imperfect men could create. And I am so thankful for the freedoms we enjoy, praying that we will have the courage to keep those freedoms and elect officers who will strive to keep our government one that is of the people, by the people and for the people.



Happy Fourth of July!!



P.s. Trivia fun: all the surnames in Keepers of the Flame come from signers of the Declaration of Independence! Woot, woot! Yes, I'm a nerd ( :

2 comments:

Jeff King said...

Great post (I missed this somehow)and mybe just a little nerdy... lol

Julie said...

Jeff: I will overlook the fact that you just called me nerdy... but only because you said you liked my post ( ;

Haha... jk. I AM a nerd!

Musica