Sunday, June 10, 2012

Fell in love this weekend...

... with TWO new things!

Item number ONE... THIS!


Snow White and the Huntsman did NOT disappoint! I shall diligently hold off on a play by play recap, just in case some of you lovelies haven't seen it yet. (And I do believe I deserve pats on the back for restraining myself!) But rest assured, it was FANTASTIC! From the costumes, to the acting, to the soundtrack, not a detail was out of place! 

I EVEN liked Kristen Stewart... 

[gasp!]

... which came as a real shock to me. Haha!

My only complaint.... 

[stop reading HERE and skip to my second new love, if you haven't seen it yet!!!]

.... was the unresolved love story. COME ON, people! The handsome, TOTALLY swoon worthy Prince William with his mad bow-weilding skills swears to find and defend Snow White, only to have a hunk-a-licious huntsman wake her up with true love's kiss, AND THAT'S IT?!?!? A decision needs to be made here, screenwriters!! My dearest Lauren Hennessy tells me this unresolved-ness is because they are contemplating a sequel. 

But how they will find a bad guy to top the evil queen? I do not know. Although I AM happy my love story will not go unaccounted for. 

Also, Hubbs and I were having a debate after the movie as to who has the baddest bow wielding skillzzz... Legolas or Prince William?



Lauren and I agree: Legoals. Hands down. 

I mean... come on. Nothing beats sliding down a set of stairs on a shield and taking out a bunch of orcs. 

But I'm willing to entertain an argument to the contrary, if any of you disagree!



My SECOND new love of the weekend...



The Running Dream, by Wendelin Van Draanen. 

Jessica thinks her life is over when she loses a leg in a car accident. She's not comforted by the news that she'll be able to walk with the help of a prosthetic leg. Who cares about walking when you live to run?
As she struggles to cope with crutches and a first cyborg-like prosthetic, Jessica feels oddly both in the spotlight and invisible. People who don't know what to say, act like she's not there. Which she could handle better if she weren't now keenly aware that she'd done the same thing herself to a girl with CP named Rosa. A girl who is going to tutor her through all the math she's missed. A girl who sees right into the heart of her.With the support of family, friends, a coach, and her track teammates, Jessica may actually be able to run again. But that's not enough for her now. She doesn't just want to cross finish lines herself—she wants to take Rosa with her.

Holy toledo, Batman! This book was FANTASTIC!! Completely refreshing, unique, and a much needed pick-me-upper. I loved every second of it.... I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN!! And the whole book was a constant battle with the water works [Lauren, its a 5 tissue box-er!].... but they were both tears of sorrow AND tears of joy! My heart ached for Jessica's loss. But the loss was softened by the tender sweetness of friends and family that never gave up on her. Jessica's determination is inspiring. The Running Dream is one of the sweetest, most pure books of overcoming adversity that I have ever read. It gets 5++++++++ stars on my Goodreads rating, and I WISH I COULD GIVE IT MORE!!

Read it. Love it. You'll be glad you did!


So that was my LOVE-ly weekend! Did any of YOU fall head-over-heels with something new recently? SHARE PLEASE!!


9 comments:

Peggy Eddleman said...

We just saw Snow White and the Huntsman, too! And I totally agree. On the movie being awesome, the surprise at Kristen Steward pulling it off, the unresolved love story, and the fact that it's hands-down Legolas. Every time. Forevermore.

Heather said...

Ah Legolas, there is no comparison. I can hardly wait to see Snow White!

Michelle Catherine Walker said...

I'd lose my religion to Legolas. Can't wait to see SnowvWhitw and the Huntsman!

prerna pickett said...

Awwww...I miss Legalos. can't wait for the Hobbit. And I'm way excited for SWATH.

Julie said...

Oh my heart, you girls crack me up!

"Everytime. Forevermore."

"I'd lose my religion to Legolas"

*snort*

I seriously LOVE YOU!

Looks like Hubbs is seriously outnumbered in the Legolas/William tally so far. So sorry, Hubbs!

Brady and Karen said...

I honestly don't know if I can read that running book. Losing my ability to run or my mobility freaks me out.

Julie said...

K: Oooo... yeah. I can see how that would freak you out... probably freaks you out as much as it freaks me out to lose a hand. Not being able to play the piano? I can't even imagine life!

S. L. Hennessy said...

I'm just now getting to commenting on posts from my time in Spain. I know...I'm VERY belated and deeply shamed.

For the record, I saw Snow White a second time and it was just as awesome. And while I too an VERY annoyed for the unresolved love story, I cannot deny that I will be going to see the sequel when it comes out. Because the movie was just too good.

And why Rob would even try and argue that William is better than Legolas is just beyond me. So disillusioned.

Julie said...

I'm pretty sure he was partly motivated to argue against Legolas JUST because I was arguing FOR him. Um... yeah... he likes to antagonize me ( :

Musica