Thursday, March 3, 2011

Frightening

Frightening is the word I will use today to describe how I feel about getting back to my book. Frightening because its been so long. Frightening because... what if my characters don't remember me? What if I don't remember them? Frightening because, what if I read what I've already written and hate it? So many "what if's" and as usual, the unknown is, well, frightening...

But along that line of thought, I just finished a fabulous book by a relatively new-ish writer, Kate Morton. Maybe she isn't even new... are you still a new writer if you've written three successful novels? Maybe. Anyway, I read her book called The Forgotten Garden and got completely swept up in the mysterious storyline. It was delicious! Intrigued as to why I'd never heard of her before, I Googled her (gotta love Google). I found her website, which was as equally charming and mysterious as her book. She mentioned on her website that she tries to stay involved in her work at least everyday. While admitting that sometimes she absolutely hates her work (what writer doesn't, honestly??), she said that there is a danger of slipping out of the story if you spend too much time away. She also confessed that she does not like to leave her characters where she left them "swaying aimlessly" while they wait for her to come back and give them new life.

If Kate's characters sway aimlessly if she's away for a measly little 24 hours, I'm wondering what my characters are up to now that I've been absent for about 4 months.... probably in a deep, dark, Sleeping-Beauty-esque slumber. Or dead. Either way, I suppose I'm about to find out. Time to stop putting off the inevitable and breathe new life--as Kate would say--into my sadly neglected subjects.

3 comments:

Robbie the Rascal said...

Love of my life. I believe that because of the background of your characters, they were all planning some prank so as to draw your attention back to writing and away from studying, but Thomas being the reasonable soul that he is, helped them understand how important it is for you to pass the bar...hence only minimal prank plots surfaced that didn't really draw your attention. :)

Julie said...

Haha, babsey! You're funny! You're also probably right... Ethan is a coniving character who would be the exact type of person to pull me away from the responsible course of action. Clearly you know my characters... could it be because you've spent countless hours bouncing ideas around with me?

Emily Gibbons said...

Don't worry! Think Sleeping Beauty, and wake them all up again (though maybe not with a kiss!) :)

Musica