Monday, November 1, 2010

Outloud Readings... ick!

This weekend I accompanied hubby on a business trip out west. We stayed with his parents and had a lovely little weekend visit! While we were there, despite my strong protests to the contrary, hubby and in laws decided to start reading my book out loud. I'm not sure why I rejected this activity so soundly... I suppose its for the same awkward, uncomfortable reason people don't like hearing their recorded voice played back to them. It just feels/sounds weird! And although I've read sections out loud to myself before (for editing purposes, etc.), I've never actually had someone sit down and read my book from page one just for enjoyment purposes.

I have to admit, that although I couldn't stop laughing awkwardly to myself for the first five minutes, after I realized they actually LIKED it, I started to enjoy it myself too. We ended up making it through a good 7 chapters! The rest of the weekend, my mother in law kept pestering us to read more, while my father in law kept trying to get hubby to divulge intricate future plot details to him. I was pleasantly surprised to get such a good reception on the first out loud read through!

On the way home, hubby and I hashed out more plot details on the plane. We came up with some really good stuff that got my mind reeling! I can't wait to get some of the ideas out on paper... and although he doesn't want me to, I'm probably going to have to dedicate the book to hubby. Without his support and willingness to hash out potential ideas with me, I fear that I would over-think the whole thing and it would be nothing more than a hot mess.

Many thanks to you, hubby! I sure love you!

I'm now looking forward to graduation in a month and a half or so... then I'll have much more time to devote to the book and publication process. I would so love to just sit and do nothing but book for a while, but a girl can only do so much while trying to study for the last semester of law school! You'll have to give me a pardon for slacking off on my book so much this semester. I vow to do better come January!

1 comment:

Sylvi said...

Go Rob! It's great when you finally break that barrier down and get ideas rolling again!

Musica