Saturday, December 12, 2009

"Craptastic" Covers

For me, it's impossible not to enjoy the little things about writting a book. Like stylization, formating, chapter headings, etc., etc. Messing aroung with small details like that--while complete insignificant and unimportant to the entire novel writting scheme--make the whole process seem more "real" and MUCH more fun. Hence, I've tried creating a few covers. They're mostly experimental, and lets be honest, "craptastic," but you know what? I have fun doing it! And plus, it's not right handing out naked copies of a manuscript... no, no. A book needs a cover, and that's just all there is to it!

This is the cover that I made this summer:

As you can see, it's quite primitive, and doesn't really tell you much about the story. But with my very limited knowledge in photoshop, it was the best I could do.

This is one I came up with the other day.

I haven't given out any manuscripts with this cover. And I actually don't think I will, because I'm not so sure I like it. Mostly I was just messing around with layering photos together (my photoshop knowlege is growing!) and came up with this. I kind of like where the concept is going... but it's going to need a few more tweaks before I feel like its read to represent a rough draft of my book.

Stay tuned! More photoshop cataclysms to come!


2 comments:

alexandria said...

I really like both covers! And you are right, it makes it seem like a real, live book!

Em T said...

The only thing I don't like on either is the font for the title. Because it's wavy and chaotic, it blends too much into the background to be easily read. The title needs to be super easy to read. You have the right idea going with your name. It's a clear font and away from any distracting action.
Other than that, I think you have a promising future in being able to design your own covers:)I agree with you, I like where it's going.

Musica